Sunday, June 14, 2020

Camper Electrical (Part 3: Lighting Upgrades)

Uhaul Camper Lighting Upgrades
Lighting really sets a mood. With a small 13-foot camper, packed with parents, kids, and dogs, it can get really small feeling on rainy days. The original lighting was a 2 bulb light over the sink, florescent tube over the closet door, and the stove hood light. None of those provide great light for reading, especially at night (if you want the kids to sleep). I replaced the 2 bayonet bulbs over the sink with LED bulbs years ago which were brighter. But since I was redoing the electrical, why not upgrade the lighting?

Collage of new lighting fixtures in Uhaul Camper
One of the top priorities was to add more lights that could be individually turned on/off and positioned for reading. I wanted us to have lights as well as the kids in the bunks. After evaluating all the LED lighting out there, we settled on these warm white bedside reading lights. They come in a two pack and I bought four total. I installed one on each side of the camper over the main bed, one near the door, and one on the side of the upper cabinet over the upper bunk. They simple to install with just 2 wires (positive/negative). They provide a nice glow and really set the mood even if we aren't using them for reading. I was glad to get one installed for my son to use over the upper bunk since it tends to be pretty dark with the normal lighting over there. 

Next, I upgraded the light over the stove with a warm white LED option. These are great and match the warm white of the other lights. I did buy the 2-pack and installed the other on the side of the cabinet next to the lower bunk for my daughter to have as an option. I did this since it was fairly flat and doesn't hinder the bunk flipping up/down like the reading lights would've. 

Light over closet door in U-haul CamperOver the closet door, I was originally going to replace the fluorescent tube light with strip LED lights inside the cover of the original light. I didn't like the way that looked and instead went with a touch panel light that is warm white but really bright and almost makes it look like daytime in the camper. 

Inside the closet, I decided to add a small light to give better visibility. I went with this touch light

The last lighting I added was inside the upper cabinets. Since I had spray painted the cabinets granite gray, they were a bit dark inside. I devised a method to use a cabinet door switch and some license plate LED lights. I wanted light that shined back into the cabinet rather than in my face. License plate lights are directional since they're designed to direct the light down onto the license plate. This worked out perfectly and provides ample, directional lighting in a small footprint. 

So you may be asking what about the stove hood light? Well stay tuned for another post in the near future that discusses that and a few other mods we recently did. 

If you're interested in the other Camper Electrical posts, check them out below:
Camper Electrical (Part 1)

No comments:

Post a Comment